Rhinoplasty, also known as a “nose job” has many important considerations before deciding to go forward with the procedure. Everyone seems to want to improve their looks in one way or another. Many people think that improving their nose would go a long way to increase their self-esteem and improve their looks.
Many people want to reduce how pronounced or “ethnic” their nose is. Many African-American want narrow their nose, while Jewish people often want to tapper theirs.
Of course, sometimes there are medical reasons to have rhinoplasty, but the vast majority of nose surgeries are for cosmetic reasons. Some medical reasons would include: improving sinus or breathing ability, improving breathing during sleep and to address sleep apnea issues.
Overall, it doesn’t matter what the reason is behind wanting a nose job. What matters is to proceed with caution to make sure that it is the right decision for you.
Below is a check list of things to consider when deciding if rhinoplasty is the right decision for you.
- Soul searching. Do you believe that having the surgery will indeed help to improve your self confidence and self-esteem? If so there is any doubt that the surgery is the just the symptom of a deeper or temporary problem then it is wise to address those issues first before moving forward with any type of cosmetic surgery.
- Referrals. It is wise to get a referral from friends, family or colleagues who have had the type of surgery you are considering. You will be able to gain valuable insight from their experience.
- Credentials. It is also very important to independently check the medical credentials of the office and the doctor who is going to perform the procedure. Check with your state’s accrediting board and medical licensing departments.
- Consultation. Be sure to consult with the doctor who will perform the procedure. Write down all of your questions and have them ready when you meet with your doctor. Ask questions about the procedure. What you will look like after the surgery? What protocols should you follow immediately after the surgery.
- Post surgery. How long will you require bandages on your face? Will you need someone to care for you for several days?
These are all things to consider when thinking about rhinoplasty.